Monday 22 February 2010

Sacrifice

I am now only 5 weeks away from starting my new life and I am exited and daunted, all at the same time.

For nearly four years the idea has been in the ether. For nearly a year, this time has been in the planning. And now it's down to weeks...

Part of that planning has been about surviving for as long as possible, given that I put my chances of success about 1 in 5 (based on general consumer goods performance and also a Harvard study). And to help me do that I have to make my cash last as long as possible... Ideally in the region of 18 months to two years (that's how long I think it will take to know if I have something viable). And to do that with the money I've got, I need to shave a third off my usual expenditure.

About 4 months ago was the moment of truth... was I prepared to make sacrifices in my lifestyle so I could live my dream. Was I prepared to give up drinking to save money? Was I prepared not to drink 4 or 5 times a week, 4 or 5 beers at a time? If so, in theory that could mean an extra 2 months over the next year to make a success of my ideas

And alcohol wasn't the only sacrifice... I've gone through my lifestyle and reviewed those things that six months ago were "normal" but in the cold light of day are at best luxuries most would not have and at worst are "frivolous". Things like eating out more than once a week. An expensive sandwich made fresh in a shop when I can make it fresh at home.

Those sacrifices, I hope will allow me the time to reach my promised land

No comments: