Wednesday 24 February 2010

Eight Years in Three Words: Fun Challenge Experience

Upon reflecting about my eight years with my last employer, I have been trying for the last several weeks to put all that time into context. There's been ups and downs (mostly ups), but there's been more than that.

What I wanted to say ended up being cliches... "the people are what make a business and there's lots of great people here... blah blah blah..." all of which is very true, but rather dull (may be it's what they want to hear - some affirmation that those remaining are making the right choice by staying).

So I have been wrestling with being honest (or in the latest buzzword at work "authentic") about my eight years, without hiding the bad times or from the people that I have pissed off and who have annoyed me. I do not want to rose tint the real world into a fairy tale version suitable for the mass market. However I also don't want to create a black & white view of my last eight years that jar people's view of me or their view of the company.

I need it to be both honest and universal. Those two characteristics don't play well together. They stink of principle and ideology. And principles, especially universal ones, usually mean they won't stand up in the real world (and if you hadn't guessed yet, I'm a realist!).

I ended up thinking about what the eight years have brought to me and I settled on three words (can you guess what they are???!) that summarised my tenure honestly, sincerely and (hopefully) neutrally.

But was it just my tenure? It began to dawn on me that actually this was something bigger... this could actually be my philosophy in life. And conveniently my reflection upon my employment over the last eight years had been like a mirror upon most (if not all) of the last 37.

Part of me disputes that on the basis of it's simply coincidence and / or post rationalisation. And to some degree it possibly is...
  • I do remember being 15, lying in a hospital and wanting desperately to have fun for the rest of my life, to not take life too seriously - I felt an enormous emotional rock lift off my shoulders at that point by not trying to take life too seriously.
  • I remember writing a list of ambitions at the age of 18 on the plane en route from seeing my dad in America, most of which had challenges on them (like scuba diving) - I need to dig out that list! Perhaps it was just teenage lust for life and some crazy ideas.
  • I recall always wanting to take the road less travelled. To do things differently, certainly as an adult, and certainly as I got older. To experience other lands and peoples such as Japan.

Regardless of whether they are post rationalised or have been drivers throughout my life, right now they fit my story of my life and what I want the rest of the chapters to unfold.

To ensure, that in the future I don't look back to post rationalise where I am right now, here's my meaning behind these three words.

Fun - to laugh & smile, especially in the face of crap. To realise the fun and enjoyment of living. Of stopping and smelling the roses. Of having harmless fun no matter where it can be found. Of just playing tig for no reason at all. Of doodling. To celebrate successes, especially the little ones. Of keeping hope alive, but not counting on it.

Challenge - to look for something as yet unconquered. To go after something yet unachieved. Of applying oneself. To progress and battle through. For that feeling of achievement. To understand that it's possible or to fall AND get back up. To try again. And again.

Experience
- not just in the sense of building up knowledge (although that is very relevant, given that new things interest me and I love reading non-fiction books and documentaries). From the sense of enjoying experiences. That all of life from the good and the bad, is an experience to be savoured and devoured with equal intensity. Good luck and bad luck are but sides of the same coin. To understand that we are all here only once and to embrace the comedy, drama and tragedy of life. And to realise the only bad experience is not experiencing enough...

No comments: