Saturday 20 March 2010

Serendipity?

As part of my crap juggling act, I intend to do some contracting to keep the cash rolling in, doing a mix of sales & marketing, innovation support and capability building.

I've deliberately chosen not to be proactive on this for two reasons:-
1) I am still employed and have had several false dawns when it comes to the next stage, such as my request for career break, so I would rather wait until I am well and truly on the outside before being proactive.
2) I NEED a holiday. I am shattered physically and feeling a bit in denial about the end of this chapter so I think I will need a month's R&R to help me transition.

But here's the funny thing... in the last month I've been approached by FIVE different people to do some kind of work for them, ranging from training, selling and commercial consultancy.

I know this is all down to the power of my network and how well I nurture that network. I need to be focused on it is that I offer and be clear on how I communicate it. If I'm candid, that's the bit I probably need the space & time for - I'm not quite sure what it is that I offer...

Do I offer something unique in a "jack of all trades" kind of way? A unique blend of innovation, commercial & marketing capability? Or do I focus on one particular feature and become an expert (Don't get me started on experts!!!)? Expert in Innovation? Expert in Customer Investment strategies? Or do I offer them all, but communicated in different ways...

No comments: