Wednesday 13 July 2011

Tomato Soup is Tomato Soup

I recently placed an order with Ocado for my groceries and it struck me when looking at the vast array of Tomato soups available and the difference in price for each type of Tomato Soup, that surely Tomato Soup is Tomato Soup? Well I thought so, but now I'm not so sure...

Here's a chart with the different soups and the price per gram. I was amazed at the variation...

Ocado's Tomato Soups
So why is there such a variance for simple Tomato Soup?

Well it's all to do with the Price Value Equation, I mentioned before.

Basically people perceive that each of these soups has different levels of perceived benefits, and each benefit (and subset of benefits) is valued differently. The more benefits the soup has the higher the price, although I guess a  couple of soup manufacturers have probably got their pricing wrong...

Its no surprise that Waitrose Cream of Tomato Soup is the cheapest both per serving but also per gram as it's own label and positioned as no frills, despite it being from a recognisable and (arguably) strong brand. I'm not surprised to see their Tomato & Marscapone higher up the scale as it has a higher perceived value because of its raw ingredients and its packaging.

What I was surpised at is Heinz's pricing strategy... The Organic, Farmer's Market and Touch of Basil which all appear to have more product benefits are actually cheaper than other standard Heinz Cream of Tomato formats, except the multipacks. This is the first and only time I can recall having ever ever seen Organic cheaper than the standard offering... Perhaps Ocado and Heinz have to take a look at their pricing, by either contacting me or reading some books...  Search Amazon.com for pricing strategy

No comments: