Tuesday 19 August 2008

Formula for Success

Now I started this blog with a post about management books that would be sold in Airport bookshops and I now think I've developed something which I think would probably end up in one of those management books...



Worryingly I came across this when I was cycling the other day (is it me or do some ideas just come when you don't think about it - something to do with subconscious thinking - is that not what Malcolm Gladwell's book Blink is all about?)


Anyway, my formula for success is

Can + Will = Have


Can is the opportunity and / or the capability. e.g. I can do this.


Will is the level of application, the determination, the zeal with which one attacks the Can. e.g. I will do this.


Have is the result of Can & Will. e.g. I have done this.


And here's the logical proof, if I don't Have, I must therefore not have the Can and or the Will.

Furthermore, the inverse holds true, i.e. if I Can't or Won't then I will never Have.


So I will now be challenging myself and others who are involved in this that if they have the Can and the Will, then we will Have.

Quite profound for a Tuesday...

No comments: