Thursday 31 July 2008

Diving in....

The way I currently feel is a bit like this analogy...


I'm looking out over a beautiful & calm swimming pool and it looks inviting to swim around in it, so I get my swimmers on and head off to the poolside.



As I reach the pool side I still want to go swimming but I'm checking the temperature of the water by dipping my toe in. But its not really telling me whether its warm enough or not. So I hesitate a bit more to try & find out if its warm enough. All the while the water level is going down (probably a leak or something like that in the pool!) and I become more and more frustrated about how far I've got to go to get to the water's edge every time I try to test the water, and every time I still can't make my mind up about going for a swim.



So in short I'm doubly frustrated because I want to go for a swim but I'm also frustrated that I don't know whether its warm enough for a swim. And the frustration becomes a self perpetuating engine as I the longer I hesitate the more work I have to do, and consequently the less energy I have.


I FEEL I should just dive in... what's the worst that could happen? If its too cold for a nice swim and after 10 minutes I just come out, cold & wet. But I can get warmed up and dry over time. In the real world that means resigning, getting stuck in and seeing what comes of it, and if its a complete disaster then apply for another job somewhere else or


Overall I believe that even if its too cold at first, I'm sure it will warm up in time. Again in the real world then just get stuck in and see where it leads me... it might be successful or it might lead me into something completely different.


To help with the feeling of frustration that I am constantly having to work harder at keeping interested and not feeling I am making progress... May be its time for a reflection to see just how far I have come so far?

No comments: