Monday 8 December 2008

Wind out of my sails


I knew, long before I embarked on my little voyage, that I would face tough times. Times where I might not know the answer, in fact I might not even know the question. I knew that my motivation may go up as well as down.

And the last 5 weeks or so has been exactly that. The wind has genuinely dropped out of my sails. I had had the wind & sun on my back for several weeks, and I suppose looking back on it now, it was bound to happen.

What has happened is a reflection upon a few things...

I had lost a bit of momentum back at the end of September (may be even before) when I was struggling to find a retailer to run my test (I think the number of blog articles I write might actually be proportional to my level of momentum & motivation - the more motivated I am, the more I want to share my thoughts in this blog, and charting it as I have in the picture seems to be in line with how I was feeling... anyway...). But I had knuckled down to find a solution, which I did find, but it meant it delayed me longer than I expected, and meant that during my break from work, where I should have been focused on delivering the test, I was busy setting up the test. So timing was against me!

I then started back doing my day job, just as I had agreed my test, and struggled to find the time to administer the test! My timing issue had caught up with me, and was now biting me on my backside.

On top of this I had budgeted to test in one outlet, so having twice as many outlets that I bargained for, presented a risk that quite frankly I couldn't cover if my product really took off.

So all in all, I had lost my way, lost my momentum.

But luckily for me, my buddy was on an up curve, and he has set me up to see a Venture Capitalist in the coming weeks so I can understand a bit more about the next big steps in the plan.

And that has injected a bit more life back into me, its re-built my desire and filled my sails. I now need to get the Point of Sale sorted, to get the test sorted out and get the results in, so that when I meet the VC I have some evidence of the potential of this idea. So need to get action planning...

No comments: