Wednesday 17 September 2008

Bottom Up!

For the whole time I’ve been looking at this idea I've been thinking about how I get scale from it & quickly in a way that allows me to realise my dream of Learjets, Astons & expensive yachts. That is to say I’ve been looking at it from a total market opportunity aka “top down” approach. And that has been a good way to look at the potential of what it could be.

But it has also meant I've focussed in making it big quickly which brings about specific problems & risks, spending chunks of cash to get scale, securing large multinational retailers etc.

Today as I walked to the tube I realised that for me to be NO WORSE OFF versus my current package, would take significantly lower scale than my top down expectation - actually under 5% of my distribution target & I'd be confident I could get that by walking round on my own calling in the outlets or through a couple of trade shows.

Now while that's good to know I'm still aiming for the top down version, but at least it highlights that actually the risk of going it alone is within my own power. The only drawback to going piecemeal on the bottom up version is that exposes myself to risk that somebody with the resource & contacts in the industry could really exploit my idea x get it to the big idea quicker than my incremental way.

No comments: