Wednesday 25 June 2008

Ignorance is bliss....

Last night I interviewed an ex employee of a potential customer to understand in a bit more detail the operations & workings that go on behind the scenes, and I'm back on the rollercoaster again...

First of all, my assumptions about how the customer operates have been confirmed. The systems and procedures are even more detailed than I suspected, which means the implementation of my idea will be even easier. Brilliant!!!

The other side of that coin, is that it actually becomes easier therefore for the customer to go & do it themselves. My idea would have little or no intellectual protection as its

So this then presents me with some dilemmas to ponder...

  • Do I still go ahead as is, and take the risk that they might nick the idea?
  • Do I think about how I could get them on board without developing their own idea?
  • Do I make the idea more complicated to make it difficult for them to copy for themselves?
  • Do I change tack completely, and develop a strategy that minimises their input?
  • Do I go to them with the idea and develop jointly?

Just in that one conversation I have gleaned so much yet its also rocked my confidence - I've wondered if I am right to take time off work, never mind go ahead and seek investment & launch!!!

I need to reflect that I am now in a better place than I was before yesterday, and that now I can quantify their systems and have identified the risk of them taking this idea on their own as more realistic. Ignorance may be bliss, but I now have the power to make the right choice...

No comments: