Saturday 19 July 2008

Darkest hour before dawn...










I'm a bit disappointed...

Yesterday I was formally told my application for career break had been rejected as my role within the project I am working on was too critical (nice compliment!).

But I seem to be taking this all very stoically.

I had hoped I would win the Euromillions last night so that I could storm in to work on Monday and tell them to stuff their job, but alas the jackpot went to somebody outside of the UK. An outburst of jingoism is justified, I feel!

Anyway... the whole point of the career break was to being able to dedicate myself to my business ideas and get cracking on them. Now it seems I won't be able to focus solely on making my ideas happen.

But what this has done for me is make me think about how I can progress... I'm thinking that this actually allows me to radically reduce my risk. I can take a extended holiday, may be 3 or 4 weeks and then test my idea in the real world and be more confident from that about the next steps. If it works really well I can feel confident in taking time out (either by re-applying for a career break and feel confident that investors will step up to the plate for a proven success) or if it dives then working on something else. Overall its make me think differently - taking me away from the comfort of the BIG COMPANY THINKING.

So the dark disappointment is not the end of the world as I know it... just the start of a new dawn.

No comments: