Tuesday 1 July 2008

BIG COMPANY PLODDING, small entrepreneurial nimble thinking


Today was the start of my BIG FTSE top 100 company's new financial year, and to mark the new financial year we all gathered to hear our Managing Director and the leadership team set us up for the forthcoming year. It was professional, gave a clear direction and, I think, will set us up well to deliver this year and the future.


Throughout the presentation, stuck in a hot room, I kept thinking a couple of things...


Firstly, that I don't fit into the mould for my current employer. I am a maverick, and I'm not being big headed or vain about saying that. I clearly straddle two functional bases at work - marketing & sales - and have thus far been able to generate a role with feet in both camps. But the flip side of that is I don't have a firm home to which I belong at my current employers.

Secondly, all through the presentation I kept thinking - this is great stuff for my employer, but its not for my company. I think today I realised just how BIG COMPANY THINKING my thinking on my idea actually is. My idea, and making it happen, is currently framed in the context of a top FTSE 100 company executing the idea, as opposed to a small nimble operator who has an idea and gets on with it.

I'm reminded of a friend who started his own company & product in something like 7 weeks, and he was able to do this because all he had to do was get approval from himself and make it happen. He could change as he went along. He didn't need thousands or hundreds of thousands of pounds to bring it alive. I can't ever imagine bring something to life within a big company atmosphere in 7 months never mind in 7 weeks!

So how can you get the best out of BIG COMPANY THINKING and mesh it with nimble thinking? What is nimble thinking? I need to find out...

No comments: